About San Diego
There is nothing more rewarding than planning an event that draws record attendance. With legendary weather, oceanfront backdrops and a friendly vibe, San Diego, is a destination surrounded by natural beauty that draws big crowds and big thinking. The only U.S. city to be named a “World Smart City” by National Geographic Channel, San Diego is a meetings destination where attendees can capture memories and achieve the extraordinary. The award-winning LEED Gold certified San Diego Convention Center is flanked by three waterfront upscale convention hotels. Beyond downtown, six other unique meeting regions are minutes from San Diego International Airport, national parks, and iconic attractions like the San Diego Zoo, the USS Midway Museum, Balboa Park and SeaWorld. Beyond the visual romance, its rich diversity and cultural offerings make San Diego a must attend experience.
- How much is the total cumulative hotel tax? 10.5%
- How much is the F&B tax? 7.75%
- How much is the average F&B gratuity? 22%
- How many miles from the airport to downtown? 3
- Is there public transportation, such as a bus or subway available?
Yes, MTS (Metropolitan Transit System)
- How much does the public transportation cost? $2.50 each way
- What is the shuttle bus fare from the airport to downtown?
$20.00 to $40.00
- What is the taxi fare from airport to downtown? $25.00 to $50.00
- How many daily flights in and out of airport? Currently 190 due to Covid Restrictions. During normal circumstances, San Diego Airport operates around 550 in/outbound flights
- Is the airport a hub for any carrier? Currently, there are 17 airlines that fly to San Diego. Most flights to San Diego are operated by Alaska, as they connect 33 airports to SAN.
- What are the major carriers serving airport?
Alaska, Southwest Airlines, Allegiant, Delta, United Airlines, American Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Jet Blue, Air Canada, Hawaiian, West Jet
- How many committable hotel rooms downtown on peak night? 13,979 rooms peak
- How many committable hotel rooms downtown on peak within walking distance to convention center? 9,000
- How many headquarter hotel properties? 5
- How many rooms available on peak night at the largest headquarter property? 1,200
- How many total gross square feet of exhibit space at Convention Center?
730,000 GSF (Exhibit Halls, Sail Pavilion, 2 Ballrooms 73 Meeting rooms)
- How much of this exhibit space is contiguous? 525,701 GSF
- How many total gross square feet of meeting space is available at the Convention center? 204,114
- How many meeting rooms does the convention center have? 73
- How big is the largest meeting room? 8,458 GSF
- How many ballrooms does the convention center have? 2
- How big is the largest ballroom? 40,781 GSF
- When was the last renovation or expansion? 2014
- When is a future renovation/expansion scheduled? Nothing scheduled
- Is there free Wi-Fi at the convention center? Only in Halls Lobby
- Is there an exclusive in-house Electrical provider? Yes
- Is there an exclusive in-house AV provider? No
- Is there an exclusive in-house decorator? No
- Is there an exclusive in house caterer? Yes
- Is the convention center a union property? Yes
- If union property, can you provide estimated pricing list?
No, here’s a link to pricing & regulations page: https://www.visitsandiego.com/meeting-planners/regulations
- Here is a list of labor unions with whom planners will be required to work at the convention center:
UNION FACILITY – LABOR PARTNERS
Service Employees International Union, Local 1877
United Association of Plumbers and Pipefitters, Local 230
International Union of Operation Engineers, Local 501
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Union, Local 569, AFL-CIO
California District Council of Carpenters, and its affiliate Cabinet-Makers, Millmen and Industrial Carpenters, Local 721, United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America
Painters & Allied Trades District Council 36, Local Union 333
Teamsters, Chauffeurs, Warehousemen and Helpers, Local Union 542
OFF SITE VENUES
- How many off site venues within walking distance can host up to 2,000 people? 3+
- How many off site venues within a ten-minute bus transfer can host up to 2,000 people? 8+
- How many restaurants are within walking distance of the convention center? 100+
- Can you list 3-5 local attractions and their whereabouts?
World Famous San Diego Zoo – 3.5 Miles from Downtown
Balboa Park – 3.5 Miles from Downtown
SeaWorld San Diego – 7.2 Miles from Downtown
Legoland California – 32.5 Miles from Downtown
San Diego Bay Cruises & Dining – Walking distance from Downtown